Sunday, September 26, 2010

Glen Canyon Park- Initial Observations

So I finally went to Glen Canyon Park to check out the area where you can see Islais Creek. I have to say that what there was to see was not much. Most of the water is covered by dense brush, and some of it is fenced off because it is under restoration (walking through the plants would disturb wildlife growth). As I walked along the trail beside the creek, I decided to document any sort of human activity. I was curious to see how many people I would see in just an hour, and what kind of activities these people perform while at the park. From the hour of 1 pm to 2 pm on a Friday afternoon, I saw a total of 29 people, and 10 dogs. Apparently, this park is a popular place to walk a dog, and also to jog along the trails. The majority of these people were Caucasian, and dressed in comfortable hiking attire (most of the women were wearing Birkenstock sandals).
              Here is a breakdown of the 29 people I saw and what they were doing:
              14 women- 5 walking dogs, 1 reading newspaper, 6 hiking, 2 jogging
              10 men- 5 walking dogs, 2 jogging, 1 hiking, 2 young teens smoking in bushes
              5 kids- all with hiking parents
Next time I would like to create a series of questions, and ask these people how often they visit the park, if they know about the history of the creek, etc. There is also a nursery school located in the park, along with a rec center. These people were excluded from the counting, as I was only counting people walking along the trails next to the creek.

A portion of the creek fenced off. 
Eucalyptus trees.
The creek as it disappears into dense shrub.
Looking up while standing in the canyon.
People hiking along different trails.
Shows how shallow and narrow creek is.
Trail shows activity (footprints, bicycles, etc.).
Coming out of the trails, there are houses lined up on the hill on Elk St. I wonder who lives in these houses and if they know about Islais Creek?
 When I was driving around the Glen Park residential area, I realized that Islais Creek is super hidden, and that people who live in this area may not even know that it exists. Compared to the congested 280 and the noisy Bart station close by, Glen Park is a quiet refuge for those who wish to escape city life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers